HOBBITON & ROTORUA TOUR
One day tour from Auckland to famous and magical Hobbiton and the amazing geothermal wonderland of Rotorua including either Wai-o-Tapu Geothermal Park (one of the most surreal places on earth) or Te Puia Geothermal Park (famous for Maori architecture and culture.
On this tour you will be picked up in our 12-seater mini-bus from the hotel and driven through the stunning Waikato countryside (the most extensive farming area in the world) on a fully guided journey to Hobbiton. During the trip south you will encounter stunning scenery, great photo opportunities, beautiful mountains and several different farm animals along the way.
After our drive we will arrive at the Alexander family sheep farm and Shire's Rest (the entrance to Hobbiton) where you can see thousands of sheep, grab and bit to eat, get your coffee fix or enjoy an ice cream while we collect your tickets to the movie set. Next you will board one of the big green Hobbiton buses to depart on your 2 hour fully guided tour of this amazing 12-acre movie set with a professional Hobbiton guide to ensure you get the most out of your visit. During your tour you will step into the lush pastures of the Shire, visit 44 hobbit holes, see amazing gardens, hear the secrets and stories about the making of the movies and finishing your experience at the famous Hobbiton pub The Green Dragon Inn for a cold beverage.
After your lord of the rings experience you will be guided back through the Alexander family sheep farm before continuing south to the active geothermal area of Rotorua. During the trip we will pass through the unique town of Tirau (the corrugated iron sculpture capital of the world) and the stunning Fitzgerald Glade plus see many more attractions to see along the way. Once in Rotorua we will do a guided tour of the city past its famous and historical sites including Lake Rotorua, The Government Gardens, Blues Baths, Thermal Springs and Polynesian Spa.
After some lunch our journey continues to Wai-O-Tapu or Te Puia geothermal wonderland. Wai-O-Tapu is considered one of these most surreal places on earth. Here you will see Champagne lake, Devil's bath, local mud-pools, geothermal craters and other geothermal wonders before a fully guided trip back to Auckland and the end of your tour. Te Puia is home to the world famous Pōhutu geyser, mud pools, hot springs and silica formations. You will also find a native Kiwi bird viewing house and see some of the native Maori architecture and culture at the national schools of wood carving, weaving, stone and bone carving.
After the tour our friendly staff will drive you back to your hotel.
Hobbiton Movie Set
The Hobbiton Movie Set was a significant location used for The Lord of the Rings film trilogy and The Hobbit film series. It is situated on a family run farm about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) west of Hinuera and 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) southwest of Matamata, in Waikato, New Zealand, and is now a Tolkien tourism destination, offering guided tours of the set.
Option 1: Geothermal park Te Puia
Te Puia spans 70 hectares within the historic Te Whakarewarewa Geothermal Valley, on the edge of Rotorua. They are home to the world famous Pōhutu geyser, mud pools, hot springs and silica formations. You will also find a native Kiwi bird viewing house and see some of the native Maori architecture and culture at the national schools of wood carving, weaving, stone and bone carving.
Option 2: Geothermal park Wai-O-Tapu
Named "One of the 20 Most SURREAL Places in the World" by trip adviser Wai-O-Tapu is home to the Champagne lake, Devil's bath, local mud-pools, geothermal craters and wonders.
- CBD Hotel/airport pick up and drop off
- Refreshments and snacks
- Beautiful scenic drive through the New Zealand countryside
- Professionally guided tour about New Zealand and the culture.
- Entertainment during drive
- Entry tickets and guided tour of Hobbiton including a Beverage in the Green Dragon
- Entry ticket and guided tour of either:
- Te Puia Geothermal park including Pōhutu geysyr erruption experience, kiwi bird viewing, Māori architecture, Māori arts & crafts or
- Wai-O-Tapu Geothermal park including the Champagne lake, Devil's bath, local mud-pools, geothermal craters and wonders.
- Multiple stops to purchase food, buy souvenirs or take photos
- Guided tour back to the Hotel
- WiFi on Transport available at additional cost (select during booking process)
- Upgrade to include Māori culture show for extra $25 (select during booking process)
- Pick up: 6am
- Drop off: 6 - 6:30pm depending on traffic
- 12 - 13 hour tour
- Debit card
- Credit card
- Tours will only run if at least 4 people have booked on the tour.
- Cheeky Kiwi Travel reserves the right to alter the tour due to weather or operational needs.
- No refund will be given to tours cancelled with less than 24hrs notice.
SUMMER SPECIAL $329!!!
Use coupon code "CHEEKY1" (Normally $465 NZD per person)
Discounts for larger groups or surcharges for smaller groups may apply contact us for more information.
If you want to go on a tour in less than 12 hours please call or message us.